Buying your first car is one of those big life moments you will always remember. After all, a car is a symbol of personal freedom. When you have your own set of wheels you can (for all intents and purposes) set off into the sunset, chasing new horizons and seeking thrilling adventures whenever you choose. Well, in real life most of us have to pitch up for work in the morning, but you get what we’re saying.
One of the biggest decisions you’ll have to make along your first car purchase journey is whether you’ll be buying a new model straight off the showroom floor, or if you’re going to invest in a pre-owned vehicle. There are benefits associated with both these options; let’s break it down.
THE BENEFITS OF BUYING A NEW CAR
- You are the first owner, so it is highly unlikely that there will be hidden damage on the vehicle.
- You will get the full warranty, powertrain warranty, roadside assistance provisions, service plan, etc.
- The prices for new models are normally standardised, so you’ll know what you can expect to pay.
- New cars are fitted with the latest and most up-to-date safety tech.
- There has been no wear and tear on the car, so you can expect far fewer repairs.
- New cars are compatible with the latest devices and personal technology.
THE BENEFITS OF BUYING A USED CAR
- It’s more affordable.
- Older models have a reliability trial that newly released models have not yet earned.
- When you purchase a well-maintained used car with full-service records you are still likely to get a lot of happy mileage out of it
But wait, there is yet another way to go – certified pre-owned. Essentially, you’ll be buying a used vehicle that has been put through rigorous screening by qualified technicians to ensure that it complies with the automaker’s resale standards. This is great for peace of mind, but you will also have to bear in mind that the certification process can add anything up to R10 000 to the final price of your vehicle.
If you would like some more expert insight into the matter, we highly recommend that you get in touch with a member of the knowledgeable team at Group 1 Cars. We have branches throughout South Africa and would be happy to assist you at every point along your purchase journey. Let’s get you behind the wheel of your dream car at a repayment rate you can afford.